"Do we need a neuropsychological evaluation?" 

At some point you may find it necessary to consider whether or not to have a neuropsychological evaluation done. You must become familiar with what they are, what they test, and what they tell you (or not). You must consider why you may need it. It may help you to understand the biological, neurological or psychological underpinnings of your child's condition.

Here are some sites to assist you (Caution: insurance coverage of this is 'iffy' and it can be expensive).

First, there is the general 'Guide for Parents' - http://www.div40.org/pdf/PedNeuropscyhBroch3.pdf

This 'Wiki' site also has a lot of information as well as a great deal of helpful and informative links:


If a full assessment is needed, you may wish to seriously consider the Yale Child Study Center of the Yale School of Medicine - we were very impressed and grateful for their help and professionalism - http://childstudycenter.yale.edu/assessment/index.aspxIn addition - the Yale Child Study Center conducts studies on a variety of topics.

If your child qualifies, you can participate in a study and get a FREE evaluation out of it !!!!!  To find out more, go to - http://childstudycenter.yale.edu/autism/research/index.aspx

I would also like to thank Dr. Caley Schwartz of Yale for her assistance and compassion. She now has private offices as well in Ridgefield. She offers comprehensive psychological and psychoeducational evaluations as well as treatment. She can be reached through her website at http://www.psychologistconnecticut.com/

In addition, Dr. Marcia Eckerd has no peer for thoroughness or expertise. I would highly recommend her as well -  http://www.marciaeckerd.com/

The Hallowell Centers also perform neuropsychological and diagnostic testing. They also provide a full panoply of services after testing is complete - check out their site for a full range of services offered -   http://www.drhallowell.com/the-hallowell-centers/evaluative-and-ongoing-services

Should we get an Independent Educational Evaluation or just rely on the school's testing?

First, here is the official State publication, 'A Parent's  Guide to Special Education in Connecticut'. This discusses the IEE process on p. 7


Here is one take on this question:         http://www.wrightslaw.com/info/test.indep.evals.htm

And some more thoughts on the subject:


Who Pays for the Independent Educational Evaluation?


Understanding Psychological Evaluations: Don't know your BASC from a hole in the wall?You're not alone.  Chances are that psychological evaluations and neuro-psychological evaluations will become part of the norm for you. It is essential that you get to know what these tests are and what they can do (or evaluate) and what they cannot do. You need to know this stuff because you will be highly encouraged to get an independent evaluation from us before you make any decisive move for your child.A good site for understanding the various tests (make a copy and refer to it when you read your child's report) - http://concordspedpac.org/TypesTests.html

Another helpful site to give you an overview about psychoeducational assessments - http://ldlink.coe.utk.edu/understanding_report.htm    This site provides a database of more than 25,000 tests and other measurement devices -http://www.ets.org/test_link/about

TESTS, MEASURES AND A LITTLE STATISTICS  Before you can successfully advocate for your child, you must know their strengths and weaknesses. To know this, you must be familiar with tests, measures and statistics to make sense of it all Here are some really good sites and links to help you get startedWhat the tests mean and how they fit into to process



What Do Those Reading Tests Measure?

This article will give you the a,b,c's of all those confusing reading tests


Of course, if you have any questions whatsoever about Reading and Reading difficulties, THE place to go to in Connecticut is to LITERACY HOW (run by Margie Gillis).

This is the hub of the reading universe in the Nutmeg State -- http://www.literacyhow.com/

Another resource is the Haskins Laboratories --- they are associated with UConn and Yale and also conduct studies. You can see if your child qualifies and you may be able to get some free information about your child out of it - while helping science -- http://www.haskins.yale.edu/